Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rahul Vaidya interview

With an innocent smile and a voice to die for, Rahul Vaidya, the second runner up in Sony's reality show, Indian Idol 1 has come a very long way from being the soft-spoken reticent teenager to a savvy singer who's debut album Tera Intezaar has just hit the music charts.
In a comfortable chat, the 18-year old speaks about his new found stardom, his singing career and the girl of his dreams.

Excerpts:

What were your reactions when you catapulted to stardom almost overnight?
Initially all of us, who were a part of the final rounds, didn't have an idea that we would be transformed into celebrities almost overnight. I had no clue that people would get so emotionally attached with each one of us. Their expectations were high and they associated so much from us. That was really a big surprise.
When I was out of the competition and went home for the first time, I realised how famous I had become. Hordes of people who I'd never even seen were waiting for me to come home. So much that later on I had to appoint a security guard for my building. It was a dream come true.
However, I must say that it can be very intimidating and I do get pressurized at times. And it becomes tough to handle the pressure at this age.

Do you get time to spend with your family? How important are family values?
No, I do not get much time to spend with my family. In fact, yesterday I had a little argument with my mom that I don't spend time with them, even though I'm in the same city. But I know that it's just her temporary anger, which will vapourise after some time.

My family has been with me through it all and is very proud of me. I feel the West is influencing people and this is what is resulting in the deterioration of family values and traditions. It's extremely essential to have the support and cooperation of your family in whatever you do. You need someone to guide you as being young you tend to get carried away and that leads to other problems.

How romantic are you? What's your idea of a dream date?
I am extremely romantic. I love to sing romantic songs, watch romantic movies.... Also, I don't think you need a special place to go to when you are with your partner. For me being together is what is important... even in a flight when the lights are dim. It's so romantic to be up there in the clouds.

And what about marriage?
Wow, at 18 I feel it's a wonderful thing... (laughs out loudly). That's the least I can say, as I am too young to give any definitions or statements.

But I think I would always want to get married one day with the girl of my choice. It's just that I'm too young for it right now.

And how would that girl be?
Somebody who's beautiful, a great cook, who understands me in and out. Someone who's not only beautiful but is also good at heart.

Are you in touch with your Indian Idol friends? Are you planning any album together?
No. Infact, I think you've given me a great idea. We should come out with an album. I'd definitely take a call on that.
We do meet up quite often. In fact when I checked in the hotel this morning it was a deja vu for me. It reminded me of the days we used to spend together. I suddenly missed the whole gang.
It's great fun to be a part of such a wonderful group and tour places. I'm close to Abhijeet Swant, Prajakta Shukre, Aditi Paul and even Vishal Kothari. We go to parties, discotheques and have lunch together. I love them so much.

What kind of music do you listen? Are you choosy when singing a song?
I feel there's always something in every kind of music that you can learn. I listen to any kind of music be it classical, hip-hop, rock even if I don't understand the language! For a versatile singer it's important to sing different songs.

Right now I'm not in a position to be selective. I'm doing everything that comes my way.

What are your dreams?
I want to be known as a good and successful singer. Getting good work is destiny and its up to you how much you work towards being a great singer.

I want to sing a song for Shahrukh Khan, that's something I always dreamt of.
Courtesy :shaadi times.

No comments: